Winter is still a great time to visit East Gippsland, and enjoy its beautiful offerings without the holiday crowds.
Here we’ve handpicked our Top 10 things to enjoy on your East Gippsland getaway.
- Grab a bucket and head along the rock wall at Nungurner’s foreshore to collect a feed of fresh lake mussels to cook on the wood fire at Jetty Road - serve with vinegar and a sprinkle of pepper - delicious-o!
- Bring your mountain bike and discover world class trails at nearby Colquhoun Forest. Don't own a bike? Check out our mountain bike package with Venture Out here.
- Take a scenic drive and cosy up fireside at one of our great local restaurants. Our top picks are Nautica (Metung), Waterwheel Tavern (Lake Tyers) or Bullant Brewery (Bruthen).
- Follow your nose (or the handy green map provided in your accommmodation) to experience the Twin Rivers Food and Wine Trail. From cellar door experiences to picking your own berries there's something for everyone, including jams and chutneys to rival your nana's!
- East Gippsland is known for its mild climate, so when the sun peeps out treat yourself to a lakes cruise. As a guest at Jetty Road you'll receive 20% off your ticket price with Lonsdale Eco Cruises. Worth it just for the home made scones which are baked on board and served with lashings of strawberry cream.
- If you prefer your water frozen bring your snow clobber and enjoy a day trip to the snow. Just two hours drive along the spectacular Great Alpine Road will see you building your first snowman at Dinner Plain, the entry way to Mount Hotham.
- Enjoy a morning or afternoon stroll along the boardwalk at Metung, then treat yourself to coffee and cake in a cosy cafe or a spot of shopping in the gorgeous gift shops (Effloresce is a locals favourite where you can do both!).
- Take a scenic drive to explore the environmental "gems" of our region including the Mitchell river silt jetties, Buchan Caves and Den of Nargun.
- Head to Paynesville then hop on a free ferry to Raymond Island to experience koalas in the wild.
- Pamper yourself with a treatment at Abayda Spa in Metung. Gayle's mini facial is a little piece of heaven!